Wednesday, November 28, 2012
I want to explain to some of you, some of these posts are way out of order. I originally planned to track the building progress as it happened, but life got real busy tring to get the house ready to be lived in. I did not blog for about a year. I still was taking pictures for most of it, but was not blogging it. Now, I am trying to do catch up and yet I still want to post current events in our lives. So, sorry if there is any confusion. Let me know if there is any questions you have, and I will answer them the best I can. I also want to asure you that I will fill in the blanks of the build process as I can.
In an effort to save money, we have never developed a driveway. We simply have driven on the field and made it work. Recently it has become VERY rough, and needs some attention. I still do not have the money to build the driveway to the condition that it needs to be, but I do have a dirt pile a shovel and Mountian Dew (for energy).
|I am just filling in the low spots.|
One of the many things I did not get to before we moved in was build the doors. So, since March of last year (2012) we have had a sheet of 1/2" OSB as a door. With the weather getting colder now we have decided that a door would be nice to have (less drafty). I considered buying a door, but I really wanted to build one.
The house is sided with rough sawn cedar and the inside will be pine, and I would like the door to match both.
Another plus to building a door is that if something goes wrong with it, I can fix it.
|I had to start by finishing the rough opening. Agian, I wanted cedar on the outside and pine on the inside.|
|I had a problem with nails backing out of the cedar siding, so now I use stainless steel trim screws to hold the siding on.|
I used these screws to build the door as well.
|This is the finished opening. It is hard to tell but the inside is pine and from the door stop out is rough sawn cedar.|
|I hung plastic over the door to try and keep some heat in. I could have done this in the summer, but the would have made to much sence.|
|Prepairing the windows for stain and varnish.|
|The core for the door is a piece of 1/2" plywood.|
|I then added rough sawn tongue and groove cedar to the outside of the door.|
|The cedar is glued and screwed to the plywood core. The glue is weather proof.|
|On the inside I used tongue and groove pine. Agian, I glued them.|
|This is the outside of the door. I wanted to use galvanized pipe for door handles, but I could not make it work how I wanted.|
|This is the inside.|
|The door is hung.|
|This is how you would see it when comming to visit.|
Tuesday, November 27, 2012
|Since we don't have an oven, and Thanksgiving requires a turkey. I again turned to the Weber. We have cooked whole chickens in the grill before but never a turkey.|
|We got a 16 lb. turkey with my coupon from work.|
|About 30 min. into the cooking. I expected it to take about 3 hours to cook to 180 deg.|
|I used Mesquite chunks to add flavor.|
|Well, its not pretty but it was good. |
The outside looks burnt, but it's not. It is smoked, that is why it is black.
|It was delicious and juicy.|
Monday, November 26, 2012
I got told on Wendsday (the day before Thanksgiving) that I was getting laid off immediatly. I have been machining since 1994 and have been burned out on it for about the last 12 years. I was laid off once before but was able to start a new job the following Monday. This time I am not sure what I want to do. I want to find a job close to home (I have been driving between 30 and 60 miles one way). I want to find something new. Machining has always paid the bills, but bores me to death. It's esenctualy the same thing every day. I have though about going back to school for something different, but that money thing always gets in the way. I would like to work from home. Let me know if any of you have any ideas.
After we finished backfilling the front wall, I finished stacking the side walls and got set up to start core filling.
|The strom that came packing up to 80 mph wind gust and the 48' unsecured wall just could not stand aginst that kind of pressure. |
The scafolding was in just the right spot to protect the cement mixer.
|Luckily there was only 13 blocks that were to badly damaged to use again. My stack of foam, seen in this photo took a real beating, but was still usable. The wheelbarrow suffered a few new dents, but managed to protect the water pump under it.|
|The only cost of the wall falling was the loss of 13 cement blocks and time. Grand total = $12.50|
|We started restacking the wall that night and it was going better than it did the first time.|
Saturday, November 24, 2012
With the front wall surface bonded, core filled and insulated we were ready to backfill.
|Here you get a good view of the two layers of 2" extruded foam that was used to insulate the front wall. You also can see the sill plate anchors sticking out of the blocks. The anchors are tied to rebar that go all the way down into the footing.|
|Here you can see the 8" blocks stacked on top of the 12" blocks. This creates a 4" ledge the concrete slab will rest on.|
|I had some problem with the outer layer of foam wanting to get pulled down with the weight of the dirt.|
|I did not take any pictures of me stacking the back wall. As you can see here I had to leave the side walls unstacked to allow room for vern to backfill.|
|About to fill in the pumping pits.|
|Gradeing the South. If you look between the two layers of foam you can see some blue foam glue that I used to hold the sheets of foam together. This glue did not hold at all, allowing the sheets to sag when we back filled.|