Sunday, November 11, 2012

Our family garden (2012).

We were originally planning to focus on working on the house this last summer and we were going to forgo a garden to save some time. However, the gardening bug bit me and I had to plant something. So, I decided a 25'x25' was small enough to fit in to the schedual. I also planted some planters up by the house.
I planted cucumbers, sweet corn, radishes, carrots, green onions, onions, tomatos, cherry tomatos, spinch, leaf lettuce, peppers, peas, beans, musk mellon, pumpkins, asparagus and rhubarb.

I used a pallet for a gate and some extra cement from the cloths line poles under it to keep animals from digging under the gate. It most have worked. I had no animal issues.

This is what I love about radishes. They are the first thing to come up.

This planter is by the front door. I planted onions, rhubarb and carrots.

This planter is on the other side of the front door. Here we planted peas and onions.

3 comments:

  1. Why didn't the animals go under the fence? Is the gate an easier target for them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I buried the fence about 4-6 inches deep in the hopes that if an animal tried to dig under the fence it would hit under ground fence and get discourged and move on. However, the gate needed to swing so there was a gap between the bottom of the gate and the ground. That is why I poured some cement under the door to give me some protection. Now that the garden is offically done for the year I can say it all worked. I had not one animal in the garden. Gold star for me. :)

    ReplyDelete